March 21, 2009

A day on the Slopes!

Today is twenty one of March, my birthday! AJ and I celebrated by going night skiing at Powder Mountain yesterday. It was a beautiful day!! I've been skiing a lot in my youth but it had been about 6 years since I've gone. It was like riding a bike, you never forget. I'm no expert though, I like to take my time and snowplow my way down. For AJ this was his first time downhill skiing. He's very coordinated and athletic so he had confidence in himself that he could do it with ease. Well......he under estimated the sport and the minute he put his skis on for the first time he crashed! It was hilarious! I wish I had a video to show you. There were a bunch of pro snowboarders around that had a good laugh too. We made our way over to the hammer pull to take us about 100 yards up so I could give him a little lesson. We did this three times and let's just say that my first thought was "It's going to be a long night!". We headed to the lift to give the mountain a go. The first trip down was pretty rough for AJ. We even had the ski patrol on our heels giving him pointers. He had a hard time mastering the snowplow and would pick up speed when he turned. Each run he relaxed a little more and got better every time. When we first started I told AJ that I finally found something that I was better than him at. He told me, just wait, the nights not over yet. He was right. By the end of the night he was waiting for me at the bottom of the hill. All in all it was a great night out and cost us the same as it would for us to go out for dinner. The best parts of the night - we never had to wait in line to get on the lift, AJ didn't complain when I led him astray and we had to hike our way back, kissing on the lift, watching the sun set from the top of the mountain, finding my headband after losing it on the previous run, and the best of all - me only falling once and AJ about 20 times! Although he was better than me by the end of the night, I can at least brag about that.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wouldn't call it a complete success for A.J. unless he was able to moon someone while skiing down the slope! After all if he can do it while driving down sardine canyon then skiing should be a breeze.

Heather said...

I can't believe I spaced your birthday! Happy Birthday you beautiful gal! Sure miss you! Love the pics of you guys skiiing! When I see you two together, a flood of memories always comes rushing back! Sappy, I know! We'll be in Utah and Idaho in June! We've got to get together!

Unknown said...

Hey, the ski trip looked great! Now that you two are near pros you're ready to hit the slopes in Austria! How about next winter?